Web Push Notification : Drive More Traffic To Your Website
Category : General
Web push notifications are instant, real time, clickable messages that any website can send to their user’s at their browsers. They work similar to mobile app push notifications expect that they work on all devices (mobiles, laptops, desktops, tablets etc) and you do not need an app to be able to send these notifications.
Also, unlike mobile app notifications where the permission to send notifications to users is given by default, web push notifications are a strictly permission based channel.
Web Push notifications have taken the marketing industry with storm with their commendable click through rates and open rates, surpassing almost every other marketing channel of communication.
The best part of these notifications is that they do not require Email address or any other personal information of the users. Also, since these messages are delivered in real time, even if the user is not online at the time of delivery of these messages, he will get it as soon as he logs into his browser.
How do these work?
Web Push communication works as a s two step process:
- Opt in: As soon as the visitor comes on to your website, he is shown a triggered opt in box asking for permission to send web push notifications.
- Send notifications: As soon as the the visitor clicks on allow, he is added to the website’s subscriber list. You can now send any number of notifications to your subscribers at any time you want.
Isn’t that amazing?
Before sending your first web push notification, here are a few things which you should know about this new and blooming marketing communication channel:
- Since it is a completely permission based channel, you will not be able to send notifications unless the user allows you to.
- Web push copy plays a major role in determining the click through rates of your web push notifications. It should be crisp, clear, concise and should create urgency.
- Remember with great power comes responsibility. Just because you can send notifications anytime you want doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to. Do NOT spam your subscribers. Time your notifications appropriately with well planned gaps between two consecutive web push notifications.
- Time your notifications according to the timezone of your users.
- Do not follow one approach for all your subscribers. Categorize your users into specific buckets and send personalized notifications to your audience.
- Track the right metric – don’t go only after click through rates.
I hope you find this helpful. Would be happy to hear your thoughts in the comments below.